Now Accepting Nominations for the Florida High School Teaching Award
This award is supported by the Florida Section and recognizes excellence in teaching of chemistry at the high school level. It consists of a plaque and $250. The teacher’s school will receive an additional $250 for teaching support.
The award will be presented at the FAME Florida Award Symposium on Saturday, May 6, 2017. The award winner will also be invited to participate in the high school chemistry symposium to be held the same day. The local section will pay for the registration fee and one night hotel accommodation. The selection of this award will be made by the Education committee. The criteria for eligibility are as follows.
The recipient must:
- Have at least five-years of teaching experience;
- Be currently teaching chemistry at the high school level and teach within the boundaries of the Florida section;
- Have participated in extracurricular activities in chemistry (including but not exclusively to, science fairs, sponsoring chemistry clubs, and activities that stimulate the interest of student in chemistry or related fields).
Nominations should include at least two of the following:
- Letter of support from the principal or science supervisor;
- Letter of support from a colleague; or
- Letter of support from a former student or a parent.
Nominations must be sent electronically to email@example.com no later than April 15, 2017. The award winner will become the section’s nominee for the James Bryant Conant award, which is the award presented to a high school teacher at the Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society.